My brand new schedule begins today. I am now working 80% time, with one official weekday off every week. I am really, really excited. I used to schedule a random day off months in advance and look forward to it that entire time — and then, often something messed it up anyway (because when you only have one ‘swing’ day in a several month period, it ends up getting eaten up — makeup for a sick day, or the like).
I still haven’t figured out exactly what I am going to do with our childcare. The kids are in school 8:45 – 2
, so it’s not like I won’t get some time to myself. I think we will basically change it up on a week-to-week basis. This week, our nanny will have the day off in exchange for working those extra hours this weekend; another week, I’ll have her come in 12p – 8p so Josh and I can sneak in a date night. Hopefully things will evolve naturally. It just doesn’t make sense to keep the normal hours every week when I can easily take the kids to school.
Things I hope to use this time for:
– Writing more
– Going to kids’ appointments (dr, dentist, etc) without having to squeeze them into very hectic days
– Having one-on-one time with the kids (ie nanny has one kid, I take the other – esp Annabel but C alone too as he gets older)
– Working out without having to wake up so early! Maybe going to some more workout classes instead of just running / doing stuff at home.
– Keeping things a little more organized at home (though no, I don’t want to spend all my time sorting toys so I will have to hold myself back in this realm because it can be oddly tempting)
– Getting a little more involved with the school (especially as A enters our local public school kindergarten next fall)
– Doing our yearly photo albums sooner than October of the following year
– Getting a monthly pedicure (maybe even a manicure b/c YOLO)
Things that will also probably happen:
– Some work projects, but will try to keep this to minimum because I have to keep reminding myself I AM NOT GETTING PAID for this time . . .
If anyone has made a similar transition, thoughts / suggestions are welcome!
Happenings this past weekend:
A’s bday party!! It was awesome.
Lots of unplugged time.
Radiohead concert (well, that was Thursday, but close enough) – and yes it was great!
Party (held at Miami Children’s Museum)