Chicago weekend: in list formatJune 30, 2015
1) I had an amazing weekend in Chicago with my 5 best college friends, including my freshman roommate. I hadn’t seem most of them in years (since before A&C!), but it is amazing how true friendships just seem to transcend time and space. It’s also amazing how such an experience can bring you fascinating perspectives on relationships and life. One notable insight is that basically no one changes very much. However, I think that all of us are more confident (and . . . likely happier?!) than we were in our late teens and 20s.
2) In addition to catching up and partaking in Chicago tourism, I went shopping. I tried to keep Kon-Marie in mind, but I will admit that several joy-sparking items from Sephora flew back to MIA with me, plus a pair of high waisted jeans and a flowy top from Madewell. This was the first brick and mortar shopping I have done this YEAR (yes!) and . . . it was really really fun. As ‘minimal’ as I claim to be (or want to be), I am never going to be a true ascetic.
3) We ate awesome food. I didn’t stick to paleo, though I didn’t specifically eat bread or anything like that. I did eat gelato and lots of delicious food at avec and frontera grill. We also found wine bars that did flights both nights. I am definitely back into healthy mode now, but I have zero regrets. (And this is exactly how I like to “do” paleo.)
4) I missed A&C. Their smells, their physical beings. Then last night A had an epic bedtime tantrum and I remembered why it’s good to have a break from time to time.
5) I missed Josh, too. Although I will say there were some rather candid, uncensored discussions that probably wouldn’t have happened had our significant others all been there. And I do think there is value in such ‘girl talk.’
6) The whole trip, I was awash with feelings of gratitude: for my friends, for Josh, for the kids, for my family, for the opportunity to take such a fun weekend off. I’m still basking in it today (even on call).
Back later this week with review of June goals and some new ones for July!
Eataly. (Where gelato happened! Tiramisu + Pistachio flavors. OMG.)
Trying on sunglasses @ Neiman Marcus Last Call
(didn’t buy them)
WINE FLIGHTS both nights. Best pre-dinner routine ever.
7 mi around the lake on Sunday morning. Beautiful.