top 10 things about fall
1. cool mornings. in NC, the crispness may not last all day, but ohhh i do love those 60 degree mornings for running!
both of the beautiful pairs above are from anthropologie
3. butternut squash + pumpkin, either in all of their natural and vitamin-rich splendor, or artificially rendered à la starbucks or TCBY — what, did you think frozen yogurt was a summer fling or something? also on the culinary front, i’m looking forward to starting the fall (my LAST!) chapter in my doin’ time book. cornish game hens, here i come.
4. the ‘back to school!’ bonanza. well, i’ve already waxed ecstatic about my love of new (and pretty) school supplies and the like. another favorite nerdy fall activity is picking out next year’s planner! i will write more about this in an entry to come . . . along with another very exciting giveaway. get ready!
5. crunchy leaves. so simple, yet so great. especially when i don’t have to rake them.
6. a new color palette. fall hues are rich, naturally-inspired, and mouthwatering, in a thanksgiving sort of way. plus these shades go way better with my hair color than summer pastels.
9. daylight savings time. because perhaps i’ll be able to start running earlier (leading to a less-rushed morning routine), and oddly i sort of like it when it’s dark upon my return home from work.
10. red wine. yes, yes, 1000 times YES! it just tastes better in the fall.
we cracked this bottle of bella zinfandel last night
runners up: new orla (to be featured in a later post, of course), getting to wear coats, and the return of soups and stews in my dutch oven. i love fall! it would be the perfect season if it just didn’t lead to winter.
exciting news! i posted all about the sigg controversy last week. since then, the company has announced a voluntary exchange program (click here), so that those of us who would like to exchange old siggs for a BPA-free version can get one gratis from the company.
workout: 5 miles with 12 x 400m intervals. my, it is easier to run in 60 degree temperatures! recovery periods are all 0.15 miles. total stats = average 8:42/mi.
400m @ 7:46/mi (10:34/mi recovery)
400m @ 7:40/mi (10:09/mi recovery)
400m @ 7:16/mi (9:55/mi recovery)
400m @ 7:36/mi (10:19/mi recovery)
400m @ 7:31/mi (10:34/mi recovery)
400m @ 7:45/mi (10:42/mi recovery)
400m @ 7:33/mi (10:00/mi recovery)
400m @ 7:44/mi (10:18/mi recovery)
400m @ 7:48/mi (10:34/mi recovery)
400m @ 8:15/mi (10:10/mi recovery)
400m @ 7:42/mi (9:55/mi recovery)
400m @ 7:53/mi (9:39/mi recovery)
note: running my usual route where i actually know accurate distance values of various landmarks showed me that i do need to recalibrate my footpod (it is ‘lowballing’ me, or making me seem slower than i really am). this seems to happen every time i change the battery! somewhat annoying, but preferable (to me) than constantly losing satellite signals like i used to with garmin.
doin’ time: the calendar may say september, but i have a couple weeks worth of summer recipes to go. i certainly got good use from my grill pan this season! last night’s garlic-lemon lamb had a greek twist. (atilla, i know this is probably your dream meal!)