forgive me if this post is a little disjointed. i’ve just been cooking and thinking and enjoying a delicious glass of dolcetto, and my thoughts are a bit of a jumble — but a happy, grateful one.
today was ordinary. josh left before i woke up. annabel woke up at 6:30. i took her to day care and went to work. we had our usual work meeting. i picked her up. we had a fleeting hour together, and then it was her bedtime.
three stories tonight:
ernie’s cheerful smile [this book rules, by the way]
the poky little puppy [abridged by me]
then our lovely 2 minutes of lullaby rocking.
and then, at 7:15 pm i forced myself to do a jillian michaels workout knowing that there was wine available as a reward.
then cooking while drinking said wine, followed by eating and cleanup, all while listening to the vampire weekend station on pandora. i read the latest zen habits post as i ate dinner. josh is still at work, so this was alone time.
today was ordinary, but it was beautiful. and something about having a little one makes me acutely aware that i will never get to experience today again. annabel changes so quickly, and i am so much more aware of the passage of time.
if you can’t tell, i spend a lot of time overanalyzing the past and thinking about the future. goal setting. schedule creating. always worrying about how things will work in the next stage [during my maternity leave, i was preoccupied with going back to work; now, i am preoccupied with how our lives in miami will take shape].
but i can honestly say that i truly did enjoy today. and inspired by leo’s post tonight, i will list the reasons i am smiling tonight — inside and out.
1) dinner was really good and i actually had a really relaxing time while making it [yeah, the wine helped]. i am thankful for the availability of fresh food and glad i spent the time making it.
2) i love the tracks i’ve heard from vampire weekend’s new release and the album comes out this week.
3) annabel was in a great mood all day and just makes me want to melt. she has learned to give kisses “mmmmm-wa” and is obsessed with hats. sometimes i wish i could just freeze time because the stage she’s in is just so cute, but it’s also so much fun to watch her learn and grow.
4) i am about to snuggle up in bed with a book and will probably get to sleep at least 8 hours. and if i’m lucky maybe josh will make it out of the OR to join me at some point.
5) i just feel like this current life stage is pretty great, and that there are exciting things up ahead [job, move, being near family] that have the potential to make it even better.
here’s to now.