Day 4 = going strong.
Still no Facebook urges.
Still no cheating!
Still not really finding any spare swathes of time, but I have been pretty productive at work.
After reading that Laura did an interview with Manoush Zomorodi (can’t wait to hear it!), I have decided that MZ NEEDS to have the Unplugged30 featured on her podcast, which is one of my absolute favorites. I am slightly podcast obsessed. I think it would be so much fun to be on one, and have even thought about recording one. Because clearly I have enough time and energy for that. Or not.
On that note . . .
Current podcast role call:
1) Note to Self – aforementioned podcast on the intersection of tech & life (with a decidedly feminine bent)
2) Happier – Gretchen Rubin & her sister waxing on about habits and happiness. Immensely popular, it seems.
3) All Songs Considered – has overtaken #4 as my favorite music podcast. Mostly mixes of new music and the occasional interview. I love the mixes. Current find from the last episode: AURORA
4) Sound Opinions – still love this music review podcast; I have been listening forever
5) Serial because obviously. Though this season isn’t grabbing me quite so tightly as the mysterious (and still unsolved) case of Adnan Syed.
6 & 7) Marathon Training Academy & Another Mother Runner. My running podcasts. Generally only listened to while running, how meta.
8) Eliza Starting At 16. Yes, I am listening to Gretchen Rubin’s daughter’s podcast. It makes me feel SUPER old but feels like good prep for 10 years from now . . .
9) Planet Money. I actually might like this more than Freakonomics now (though I still like both). Oddly compelling for someone with no financial knowledge or business sense.
10) Pop Culture Happy Hour. Book, movie, TV, etc reviews. I don’t listen to every episode but somehow this often feels like the right choice for my Friday afternoon drives home.
I generally listen in the car. I need to be careful not to completely crowd out music, because I really love just blasting music and relaxing (and maybe singing). But oh, how I love podcasts for my commute!
I’m not doing the unplugged30 (although I am attempting to moderate my phone use, mostly around my kids) but I did want to let you know that you inspired me to finally quit looking at my phone in the car. Quit cold turkey this weekend and it’s been going great!
Serial is so boring this time! I’m glad you think so too. So disappointing. I love planet money and freakonomics. Also start up and question of the day. I need more podcast friends to discuss with! As a stay at home mom, listening makes me feel like I’m learning something new. I started happier when it first started, but it felt like topics all discussed in her books already.
Try the Gimlet Media podcasts if you haven’t already! Reply All and Mystery Show are my favorites.
I have been loving the Happier Podcast. I’ve read all the books (Well, Happiness Project and Happier at Home, Better than Before is on my list), so having the podcast is a weekly reminder of some of the habits that I like to manage 🙂 I never got into Serial, I felt it was too hard to concentrate on it. I mostly listen to Podcasts while working (basic lab tasks and when I’m analyzing data) and running so I felt that it took too much focus. I will check out Note to Self and Eliza at 16 – I’ve been meaning to listen to both!
Thanks for linking! To clarify, I was interviewing Manoush about her productivity habits for an upcoming article I’m writing — I wasn’t on the show. Though it would be fun! I always love interviewing people who interview a lot of other people for their jobs. It makes for a good conversation.
I cannot get into this season of Serial at all. I’m off to check out your other recommendations though. Right now the only podcast in my rotation is This American Life.