Day 2 complete!
unplugged but not unhingedFebruary 3, 2016
(I promise this isn’t all I will write about for the month. But it IS feeling rather revolutionary right now.)
– I stuck to all the rules today (2/30: check)
– I am still so weirdly relieved NOT to “have to” go on Facebook. (And I’m surprised to be relieved of this “obligation.” Huh?)
– I got like 10 texts while driving today (i.e., heard the phone ding) but did not touch it. It took some serious restraint. I am happy to say I made it through.
– I do actually feel a little calmer and more centered. Maybe it’s placebo effect, though.
– It is rather relaxing to just hang out in the elevator and NOT be furiously entering my password to check email.
– There is less “good stuff” in my email than one would expect given my usual temptation to check it every 47 seconds.
It is also somewhat hard to discern cause and effect because I started my Mindfulness class (MBSR, modeled after this course developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn) last week. We are assigned homework, and every single day for the past week I have done a 42-minute meditation entitled Body Scan. 42 minutes. I do not have 42 “extra” minutes (and neither does anyone, for that matter — what are “extra” minutes?) but apparently I have enough that I was able to get this done.
Tonight was the 2nd live session. I have never spent so much time just sitting in silence. But it definitely goes well with the Unplugged vibe of this month. I feel like it has enhanced my patience, if nothing else.
In other news:
1) We turned Cameron’s car seat around (he turns 2 in 3 weeks). OMG. It apparently made his life. Except I still feel guilty/worried that he would be safer turned backwards (but – same for Annabel, and we turned her around right at 2).
our nanny’s car – my prius is not that spacious!
2) I requested another Trunk Club shipment! I am still very happy with all 4 items that I kept from the last box, and both pairs of pants I kept are in heavy rotation. For this shipment I requested:
— white jeans (maybe same brand as the black ones I got last time)
— casual tops
— going out tops
— work dresses that could transition to going out
Excited to see what the stylist will come up with! I will try to post better photos this time.