It is February 20th. Cameron’s 2nd birthday, first of all. Which feels incredible because I still see him as our baby. (And to be fair, he’s a young 2. Which I love.)
But also — this month had just felt like a whirlwind. Or a roller coaster. There have been some bright spots, but it has also felt sort of crushing and overwhelming.
* Cameron’s 2nd birthday party was definitely the bright spot thus far. I feel like I did an excellent job with the planning and it just went really really well (other than everyone in our family being sick.)
* I received my second Nordstrom trunk, and there are sooooo many cute things in there. Too many really. Will do an upcoming post as I welcome opinions on what to keep.
* Unplugged30 has largely still gone really really well. I have not been 100% perfect — there have been random times when I have needed to go into email for something, and then get sucked in, and other times where I honestly just forgot one of my own rules. But overall, it has gone well and it has been a BIG change. I have not been scrolling mindlessly AT ALL and my phone use in the bedroom, car, and with the kids has been reduced to essentially 0. Interestingly, I still feel somewhat happy and relieved to be away from Facebook. I do miss the mindless candy of Instagram a bit. I do not miss the blogs that I took off of my reader, but I have been clicking through Ana‘s sidebar a bit during my allowed blog-reading sessions. I have been reading more. And going to bed earlier (also a necessity because of being sick.). I feel much better/satisfied about my time use overall despite the negative details below.
* Josh has been sick for nearly 2 weeks. He is just now feeling better (said so yesterday). I have had a mild version that has lingered a week, and A&C had their versions as well. Just UGH. C in particular has had a runny nose since the new year and has intermittently needed albuterol.
* Because of the above, no one has slept well. I am tired.
* Work has just felt frenetic and crazy. I still love my job but for some reason, things have just felt overwhelming in the past month or so. I feel like I have no time to do any deep thinking or work on any of the longer-term projects (that are important!) and have been simply putting out fires. Mostly clinical/logistical ones.
* Our babysitter no-show, and then losing my precious “me day”. I’m over it now, but it stung at the time.
* I ended up quitting my Mindfulness class (MBSR). Yep. Too busy to be mindful. Or to meditate 40 minutes a day. Shocking, I realize. I decided I’d rather use that time with Josh, or to read, or to get work done. I still am trying to incorporate a daily meditation practice and definitely am interested in trying the class again in the future at a less busy time, which probably means . . . 2040 or so. Having to quit felt sort of demoralizing and sad. But it had to happen and also released the pressure that I was feeling about not being to keep up with “assigned” meditations and such.
* Probably due to all of the above, I’ve been eating like total @*#&@!. This never helps me feel any better (about life or about myself).
THE (near) FUTURE
* Because our nanny wasn’t able to come Monday, she is coming today! Which is really great, since Josh is on call (this is one of our few non-overlapping call weekends for him, since he is q4 and I am q5). I am going to take each kid to a separate birthday party so it will be a very social day.
* I am going to try to also sneak in a pedi. Wish me luck.
* I am going away for work next week to a conference related to my associate program director role. I am excited to learn a lot and honestly also to take a (relatively short!) break from normal life.
Happy weekend, everyone! Any Unplugged30 updates?