1. I have been asked to do a post on my medical specialty selection. I am going to wait until I am done with call lest that color my views in a negative light. That said, I am pretty sure I picked the right specialty for my personality. Although I also think I would have been happy in a lot of other fields (i.e. non medicine).
2. Ever since The Great Sickness of last month (which still lingers in my throat even though I want to deny it), I have had trouble waking up early. It is like an hour of time has been taken away from me. And I really needed that hour!
3. I haven’t run since Friday and it feels like forever. I am giving myself another pass today (throat still really hurts) but hoping that tomorrow I can at least put in a couple of easy miles.
4. I lost my Fitbit. The design of the Charge just failed me — twice — because it just fell off of my wrist when I was doing some child wrangling, which went unnoticed at the moment. And now it is never to be seen again. Again. I will say I miss having a step count! I liked the “credit” for running after the kids or walking to see a consult. I also liked the clock & phone call notifications. So I will probably buy another similar device. I am torn between getting another Fitbit (that CLOSES with an actual watch-like clasp, like the HR) or changing to a different brand. The latter seems logical (because I am annoyed!) but friends/people I know all have the FB and I am used to the interface.
tempting. very tempting.
5. I 100% missed the Oscars. Looking at the reports, that’s probably just fine, because the only two movies with nominations that I saw last year were The Martian and Inside Out. I don’t think we could add significant movie-watching time to our lives without sacrificing something else (books? the few TV shows we sometimes watch?), so I think that will have to be tabled until the kids are teens. Or older.
I think that it is hard to continue getting up early when you get out of the habit even for a short time. Even for morning people. I have this problem every winter (I hate the cold! Even NC cold). I get lazy and then my 5AM wakeup starts to move toward 5:30 adn then 5:45. Every spring I always have to work at getting it back to 5AM. I am always happuer once I do though.
I have a Fitbit zip. Actually the battery died yesterday. It’s not as fancy as the others and doesn’t do as much but I find the step count very motivating. I think I like getting credit for things.
My kids are older than yours and I still really don’t do movies. I can only fit in so much and movies just didn’t make the cut. TV shows don’t either (except the Game of Thrones).
Good luck getting everything back on track after the Great Sickness.
NC cold is legit cold. !!! I’m usually such a morning person – maybe it’s a light-cycle thing!? Anyway i hope I can get back to my usual routine soon.
Just so you know, Fitbit will replace your lost one free of charge! They also consider that a design flaw. You just need to call their customer support and explain what happened. They will check your Fitbit account for activity (to make sure you’re not trying to pull a fast one) and send you a new one in a few days. My friend and husband have both had theirs replaced this way – Fitbit’s customer service is amazing!
FYI Fitbit has great customer service! If you let them know that’s how you lost it, they will replace it free of charge.
as I wrote back to Stephanie above — Thank you, IT WORKED! I did have to fight, though. At first, they said they did not cover against losses and they would offer me a 25% discount on a new product. But I clarified that it would not have been lost if it did not fall off with activity, which is in itself a design flaw. (I didn’t just leave it somewhere – it disappeared from off of my wrist while I was using it, in action). So then they said they would replace it. Hooray!!
I still see movies when we visit my parents or when the movies are available on cable — over multiple nights, though. This year, I saw very few movies — not much seemed interesting to me and we cut the cord. It takes a while for stuff to show up on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Glad you got a replacement Fitbit. I had a Jawbone UP, which malfunctioned and customer service dragged out the replacement process.
I’m glad you got a new one–I got mine replaced twice once when the plastic wore off and another time it fell off in the mall! I want a different one though (I have the Charge too)…I really like their new Alta design even though it has the same sort of clasp–it is cute though!
Probably the apple watch does this too, but can I just say that I love that my Fitbit vibrates when my phone rings? I don’t have to worry about turning on the ringer of my phone anymore (and then not hearing it anyway). It’s seriously fabulous.