This weekend included:
– Miami Book Fair! Our kids are still too young for this to be a super-literary experience for Josh and me, but it was still a lot of fun. (Until both kids decided they were tired and our bold move to go stroller-less backfired).
– 9 mi run, most of it along the boardwalk, ocean in full view
– dinner with friends hosted at our house! As I predicted, Cameron went to bed just fine at 8 (despite napping until after 5!) but Annabel was still chatting with our guests until 9. We did wine/cheese/olives, and then I made Lamb Chops with Orzo Cucumber Salad
, and the meal came together easily. Admittedly it wasn’t as relaxing as a date night out, but it was still fun.
– SLEPT IN until . . .6:47. Ahh well. I tried. I heard “Mommy I AWAKE” on the monitor so . . . that was that. I had planned on getting up early to do my usual AM routine + barre3 but the wine I drank Saturday night
made that sound very unappealing.
– Swim class. A can now pretty much swim! And C is getting there with his survival skills and can go on his own for short distances (he hasn’t mastered breathing yet).
– Totally lazy afternoon with Annabel. She colored, I read a book on my phone*, and Cameron slept 3 hrs.
– Quick stop at the Children’s Museum for the hour before closing (we’re members and live 10 minutes away, so short trips are fine). It’s actually a great time to go – no crowds!
– Fam dinner out at Harry’s
pizza. Love that place.
I also woke up at 2:30 AM
feeling an odd mix of anticipation, wistfulness, and stress. I probably should have gotten out of bed, but I ended up finishing my book (Melissa Hartwig’s Food Freedom Forever
, on a whim and a friend’s recommendation) and then spent another hour in half-dreaming mode before I gave up and just got out of bed.
Maybe it’s the fact that I (finally!) finished the 2015 photobook and was shocked to see that many of the outings that seemed so recent were in fact from a year ago. Maybe it’s just noticing A&C growing up, very quickly. Maybe it’s the recent current events/unstable feeling I get from reading the news (or avoiding it). But whatever the reason, I just felt overwhelmed with a feeling of poignancy. Half gratitude, and half sadness that life is so fleeting and so unpredictable.
I guess that doesn’t describe it very well. But I feel more present today than I have in some time. So that’s a good thing . . . I think! And I will definitely be going to bed early tonight.
Album of the day (yep, I’m attempting this):
11.21.16 – REM Out Of Time (1991. Since they just released the 25th anniversary addition!).
Woah. Tomorrow something from 2016 or you all will think I’m ancient 🙂
* I SOOOO prefer paper books now, especially because I want to exemplify to Annabel that I was reading not doing Instagram for 2 hours!