This weekend included:
– Miami Book Fair! Our kids are still too young for this to be a super-literary experience for Josh and me, but it was still a lot of fun. (Until both kids decided they were tired and our bold move to go stroller-less backfired).
– 9 mi run, most of it along the boardwalk, ocean in full view
– dinner with friends hosted at our house! As I predicted, Cameron went to bed just fine at 8 (despite napping until after 5!) but Annabel was still chatting with our guests until 9. We did wine/cheese/olives, and then I made Lamb Chops with Orzo Cucumber Salad, and the meal came together easily. Admittedly it wasn’t as relaxing as a date night out, but it was still fun.
– SLEPT IN until . . .6:47. Ahh well. I tried. I heard “Mommy I AWAKE” on the monitor so . . . that was that. I had planned on getting up early to do my usual AM routine + barre3 but the wine I drank Saturday night made that sound very unappealing.
– Swim class. A can now pretty much swim! And C is getting there with his survival skills and can go on his own for short distances (he hasn’t mastered breathing yet).
– Totally lazy afternoon with Annabel. She colored, I read a book on my phone*, and Cameron slept 3 hrs.
– Quick stop at the Children’s Museum for the hour before closing (we’re members and live 10 minutes away, so short trips are fine). It’s actually a great time to go – no crowds!
– Fam dinner out at Harry’s pizza. Love that place.
I also woke up at 2:30 AM feeling an odd mix of anticipation, wistfulness, and stress. I probably should have gotten out of bed, but I ended up finishing my book (Melissa Hartwig’s Food Freedom Forever, on a whim and a friend’s recommendation) and then spent another hour in half-dreaming mode before I gave up and just got out of bed.
Maybe it’s the fact that I (finally!) finished the 2015 photobook and was shocked to see that many of the outings that seemed so recent were in fact from a year ago. Maybe it’s just noticing A&C growing up, very quickly. Maybe it’s the recent current events/unstable feeling I get from reading the news (or avoiding it). But whatever the reason, I just felt overwhelmed with a feeling of poignancy. Half gratitude, and half sadness that life is so fleeting and so unpredictable.
I guess that doesn’t describe it very well. But I feel more present today than I have in some time. So that’s a good thing . . . I think! And I will definitely be going to bed early tonight.
Album of the day (yep, I’m attempting this):
11.20.16 – Leonard Cohen, I’m Your Man (1988)
11.21.16 – REM Out Of Time (1991. Since they just released the 25th anniversary addition!).
Woah. Tomorrow something from 2016 or you all will think I’m ancient 🙂
* I SOOOO prefer paper books now, especially because I want to exemplify to Annabel that I was reading not doing Instagram for 2 hours!
If you’re looking for suggestions for albums I really liked Banks’ most recent release from a month or two ago. Also Aurora released a beautiful album earlier this year too.
I’ve been enjoying paper books lately too. I think it’s because when I find a book I really like, I get a nice feeling when I see the book on my shelf. I find with Kindle books I often don’t even remember the titles of books I’ve read! Also, you can’t lend other people your kindle book.
Love the "I awake." My son used to yell, ""Mama, sun came up!" He’s 21 now, and I still remember that little voice calling for me.