Just a few ideas for 2017. (A wishlist of sorts!)

December 22, 2016
daily meditation.  build on current practice
daily journaling.  right after meditation
daily movement.  walks on non workout days, even just 20 min at lunch
daily music!  one album, if possible.  a few songs (or half an album) if not
daily flossing + skincare.  link the two activities as I enjoy one more than the other . . .
reading as part of everyday bedtime routine
phone use.  I would like to limit Instagram to just in the evening + once as a mid-afternoon break.  remain off of facebook (account inactive since 2/2016)
task focus.  I want to try to use the ‘bits of time’ better but still consciously focus on one task
post something nearly every day
eat 90% healthfully and mindfully.  eat for enjoyment in the other 10%
weekly saturday night date nights unless on call
monthly donations to causes I value
nightly one-on-one time with Annabel
trip to NC to see my sister
weekend day with each kid
try new miami restaurant every month
movie date every month
ways to streamline / have greater efficiency at work / create more balance
running coach?  kayla itsines/BBG?
quarterly planning retreats/summits with Josh
greatest wishes
to have dinner + bedtime routines w/ kids be peaceful and pleasant 
to cultivate a peaceful, comfortable, and happy home environment
to have a great trip with my family with no fighting (!) and deeper connection
to make a positive impact on the lives of my patients, big or small
to feel more engaged in each and every thing I do
organize family videos
organize finances
create 2016 photobook by end of January
upload all worthwhile-to-keep kids’ videos to YouTube
KonMari entire house 🙂
develop ability to eat more slowly
improve running paces
have fantastic summer family vacation
have nothing in my closet that does not a) fit b) spark joy
feel strong and fit – be able to complete entire flybarre class without dying 🙂
have blog site look pretty + modern to me again
read 24 books in 2017: 12 nonfiction, 12 fiction.
[also work goals, related to a) transgender clinic b) residency c) research d) leadership e) protocol development]


  • Reply Sarah March 10, 2019 at 7:10 pm

    If you decide to do BBG, you should follow ‘drfittermummy’ on Instagram. She’s an English oncologist with two young children who does the workouts.

  • Reply erica March 10, 2019 at 7:10 pm

    Flossing is truly the hardest thing for me to do with regularity. Why?! It just feels like the last thing holding me from my bed. I wonder if actually doing it in bed would be okay? Or maybe doing it in the morning, since I tend to like the morning getting ready routine much more than the bedtime one.

    I am also a fast eater and I’m working on eating more slowly. I recently listened to an Another Mother Runner podcast with a food coach or something, and she said she was a fast eater and competitive, so she made a new "game" for herself to be the last person to finish her plate. I’ve tried it at dinners with friends and family, and it actually works!! And then I don’t get seconds or snack on whatever leftover appetizer tidbits are there because my plate is the last to go!

    I think these are all very attainable goals especially since you’ve laid down the groundwork for many of them.

    • Reply theSHUbox March 10, 2019 at 7:10 pm

      I floss about half the time. Which is WAY better than I used to be, but I still would prefer it to be all the time 🙂 Flossing in bed would be fine if it wouldn’t bother you (I somehow don’t feel like I would want to do that but I am sure people do!!).

      I heard that podcast too! That woman was very cute and I liked the idea but have not tried it yet. We’ll go for it today 🙂

      I think the list is a bit pie-in-the-sky but I figured might as well put everything out there. For me I like to know what the ‘ideal vision’ looks like even if I know the journey might not be exactly what I planned.

  • Reply Lori March 10, 2019 at 7:10 pm

    Do you miss Facebook? I’ve thought of giving it up, if only because it would free me from the temptation of checking/posting to it… I worry that I would miss the connection to people who I only "see" through FB…

  • Reply Ana March 10, 2019 at 7:10 pm

    love it! some of these (kondo the whole house, closet full of fitting/flattering things) are also part of my 2017 plan. I’m starting to get excited for the new year, despite my other misgivings

  • Reply Susannah March 10, 2019 at 7:10 pm

    with you on the family video organization/storage..if only there were another 2 hours in every day!
    love your thoughts and goals! xo

  • Reply Marci Gilbert March 10, 2019 at 7:10 pm

    Your lists are impressive! I feel slacking that I don’t have personal and family goals like this! I still feel like I’m trying to survive each day/week. Happy holidays!

  • Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.