This will be brief – I’m on my phone! Josh is currently driving from NC to FL. That’s right – we ended up migrating from AL to NC to visit my sister when we worried running into storm remnants would slow us down. I’m not sure if it ended up making sense since traffic and gas shortages are now the limiting factors, but it was nice to see my sister.
Cameron with her puppy, Gromit
Assorted updates in list form:
1) I was supposed to fly out for a Pediatric Endocrinology conference tomorrow. I’m not presenting anything, but is a great learning and networking experience every time I go. Up until a couple of hours ago, I was hoping to make it happen. But now I’m thinking I just really really REALLY need to go home, resume normal routines as much as possible, and catch up on the patients I missed seeing. I think I NEED a weekend at home, too, after all this.
2) Speaking of homes, ours appears to be intact from reports of family members who have checked it out. We had an enormous palm tree topple and thankfully it didn’t hit anything but just fell across the street! Feeling very lucky as we know many people who have had much more damage.
3) I am so tired. I feel like I could sleep for a week.
4) We are not out of the woods yet. I think driving home may be a 2 day affair (we booked a hotel halfway). Google maps and Waze are great but their algorithms are not working so well right now.
I wish, Google.
(Trust me 95 is NOT clear through the state right now. But the delays don’t show up until you get closer, increasing the driving time seemingly exponentially)
5) There was a new podcast
released today in which we talk about enjoying weekend but — as you can probably gather — it was pre-recorded prior to Irma. I still hope you enjoy it! Laura
and I also recorded a mini-episode (minisode?) on our hurricane evacuation experience that will air next week.
6) The schools are currently closed “until further notice.” Woah.
7) Did I mention that I am tired? This is a really mentally and physically depleting experience.
8) C is having a mild asthma flare and OF COURSE the pulmonary new patient appointment I scheduled for him 2 months ago is supposed to be … tomorrow morning. Aggghh.
9) Will update again once we are settled at home! Once we eventually get there.