adjustingMarch 15, 2018
I didn’t mean to disappear for a week, but I guess that’s what happens when you add a baby + pumping regimen to an already-full work life, or a nearly-full-time job to home life with 2 big kids + a baby. It has been an adjustment, to say the least.
Work me vs Home me:
Yes, that’s a bathroom pic on the left – not sure where else to take work selfies . . .
I’m smiling in both pictures, but there has been plenty of stress and fatigue.
taken at the end of my niece’s bday party. napping.
I only have a few minutes before the kids are up, but to summarize:
– My full patient days are HARD when pumping is added to the mix. I had my first ‘real’ one Tuesday and have another one today. Having Wednesday off in the middle was really helpful (I used my day off to finish my notes!), but unfortunately not all of my weeks are structured like that.
– I am pumping 4x/day (1 before work, 3 at work). No, still not pumping on commute, but I may try it next week (in the AM). I have been able to make enough every day. I have decided NOT to pump on days that I am not working. It’s just better for G and my own sanity, because otherwise she’s playing catchup all day. Reminding myself that the goal is to make ENOUGH, not feed the freezer. I have a reasonable stash already.
– G seems to be doing better overall — she had gone through a really fussy phase in the evenings that was REALLY stressing me out. But the last few nights have gone well. Last night she went to bed at 6:45 pm (though I did top her off at 7:15 pm when she cried, but she went right back down).
– I have several big work projects that I’m excited about. I am looking forward to July when I am officially 25% GME (graduate medical education).
– MATCH DAY IS TOMORROW! We found out our program filled (fantastic news for a brand new program!) on Monday.
– I have made the decision to really push hard on the pumping until June, when G will be 6 months. Then I will re-evaluate. This means keeping other commitments fairly minimal (workouts, nights away, conferences, etc).
– Don’t worry, blog / podcast aren’t going anywhere 🙂 But there may be fewer posts for a while. Laura was very smart and basically forced us to get a month ahead in the podcast recording department, so this will be a bit slower for a while too. (Although I still love receiving your questions! Keep them coming, we’ve got several slated for upcoming shows already!)
– I basically have to go to bed at 9 pm if I have work the next morning. Accepting this as the new normal. For now.
We will figure it out. Together.
(interestingly — to me anyway — A&G have the same hair + skin tone; C is my outlier!)