Thanksgiving is over. I am not going to a full ‘recap’, because the summary suffices well: we spent a nice weekend with family, and Josh and I are both tired.
Parenting these days is intense. There are generally 2 streams of management going on: the behavior of A&C, and the safety of G. Neither job is easy. At the end of many of these days, Josh and I just look at each other and note: “Well. That was tiring.”. And at one point I pointed out to him that we have approximately 150 weekends until G is 4!
(I cannot decide if this is a sadly high or low number.)
There is so much cuteness, so many inspiring moments. There are peaceful segments of each day. But it’s also a whirlwind. It is a challenge not to lose myself (and my chill) in the process.
Highlights and trends:
* Dressing the kids in matching plaid outfits!
* Taking G for scenic stroller runs in which she falls asleep
* Reading! (I’m on a non-fiction/personal development bender, as fits my mood at the end of the year. Current read = Ryder Caroll’s The Bullet Journal Method
* Challenging myself to remain calm while parenting all 3 — it’s actually a fairly effective exercise with an almost meditative quality. I took all 3 to YAA
(kids’ art museum) and out to dinner on Sunday by myself and actually sort of enjoyed the experience
* I am not spending much time on my phone, which is really refreshing and actually feels like a somewhat momentous habit shift. (How to Break Up With Your Phone
by Catherine Price did help, and I think I was also just ready for a change. I did not follow her plan specifically but used her ideas as inspiration. I will share the changes I made to my actual phone/habits in a future post if, as I am fervently hoping, this habit change sticks.)
* I am doing a lot of reflection and forward thinking on future projects and what I’d like 2019 to look like. Laura and I recorded our annual goals podcast, which helped me define goals for each quintile
(yep, using this system again!)
* Blog makeover is nearly done! I’ve now seen the preliminary migrated site and it looks beautifully clean and modern. I am now motivated to improve my photos and update some of my main pages (some of which have been languishing for year. Oops!).
Happy Tuesday — I was off yesterday (very strategic use of my one day off, as I knew I’d need a Thanksgiving recovery day), and entering my last ever week of pumping at work! Here we go . . .
Two separate days.
Two different beaches.
Same unimpressed passenger.
I love this drink pic!
Plaid pic #1 (outfits Tea Collection)
Solo parenting (and rather zen) museum trip
Plaid pic #2
Brainstorming ways to make weekends run smoothly
(Math problem: can you fit in some personal/work time for each parent, workouts for each parent, a date night, and a morning to sleep in for each? Yes! So why does it so rarely actually happen? Trying to figure that out!)