Seriously, there has been plenty said about this month in the parenting sphere (Spawned, The Mom Hour). And that’s because it’s true! There have been 3274 class events crammed into the past month. I have had to wrangle work time and moved patients for:
- a 2 hour stint working at A’s school carnival (they essentially asked for all parents to volunteer)
- a 1 hr Mother’s Day event smack in the middle of the work day at C’s school (and a 30 minute drive from my office)
- a 1 hr Awards Ceremony also at C’s school smack in the middle of the work day (this is IN ADDITION to the evening graduation held right around G’s bedtime at a local high school. huh?)
- piano recital yesterday (though they get major credit for offering an evening performance, and it was really well-run!)
Both kids also had field trips, dress up days (one of which I forgot), we had teacher appreciation week (why so close to end of the year when most people do teacher gifts anyway?). And I only have a pre-K and a 1st grader! Just . . . it’s a lot.
I think these events are lovely. I am grateful for our local public school (C goes to a neighborhood private preK because there is no preK offered at the public). I just wish they were a little more . . . dispersed throughout the year.
(Okay fine, I’m actually still annoyed at the 2 events 2 weeks apart in the middle of the work day at C’s school. I would 100% send Josh to the awards ceremony and not go, but he’s so new at his job and doesn’t even really officially have any PTO he’s allowed to use yet. NEXT YEAR we will divide and conquer more.)
But! The end is so close! And it really does coincide with the end of the month. June 4 is the last day of school (!) and then camp starts June 10. Things will be much more relaxed — no homework, no lunch packing, and I get a reprieve from the drop-off which will mean I can even head into work a little earlier sometimes. I also start my official program director schedule, which means I will have a little more flexibility. (Sometimes.)
Things I am looking forward to in June:
- No more homework 🙂
- Break from the weekly Saturday trips to Miami Beach for piano (we are likely going to transition to a more local place next year)
- Individual Mommy Days with A & C!! (One day each kid; they will skip camp and get to design an itinerary of their own choosing.)
- Celebrating Josh’s parents’ 50th (!) anniverary
- We have play dates / social events scheduled almost every weekend
- Only one call weekend and we are taking it together
- Live podcast recording session (these are always fun!)
I plan on filling my spare time with summer reading (made an ambitious list, mostly from the Modern Ms Darcy guide!), workouts (executive decision: I’m not going to do 80DO full out but I am going to start incorporating some of the workouts), and settling into my new work role. Excited for things to come.