In this planning-adjacent episode timed especially for Labor Day, I share my favorite work tips, from strategizing to use vacation time well to creating an effective email strategy.
(Also: avoid bad pens at all cost. Seriously!)
As promised, I will also share the BLPA signup (released via newsletter Friday) –> HERE! There are fewer than 10 slots remaining for this round. These sessions start in October so they are timed to help you have your system READY by the time you’re ready to think through 2024.
Outline of the tips discussed:
1- Spend time every year thinking through how you will use your next year’s vacation days
2- Start every day going through a plan for what you will do with your time. A mini-audit as to what is upcoming. If possible,
- make sure every meeting has an agenda
- make sure you figure out when you can eat or take breaks (bonus if you think about what you might do during the break that is rejuvenating, relaxing, or fun)
- think through your desired end time / results
- Create a realistic to do list based on what is needed and the time available.
3- Develop some kind of ritual around your email. Don’t let it expand and take more of your time/energy/attention than it needs to!
4- If synchronous communication becomes overwhelming, figure out what to do about it.
- create new processes
- create new time boundaries (ie: office hours)
- discuss with individuals
5- If your workload feels unreasonable, collect data!
- track your time
- track your interruptions or demand
- figure out how you might be able to change things to be a better and more sustainable employee for your organization and have a discussion
6- Have a standing weekly meeting with yourself to plan your NEXT week.
- look at schedule conflicts
- any unnecessary meetings?
- think about priorities
7- Don’t use bad pens.
WHY ARE WORKPLACES FILLED WITH BAD PENS? (I mean yes, they are cheaper. But still.)
Favorite planning products for work:
- Full Focus planner
- Blank stalogy notebook
- Small monthly planner for planning far in advance vac days
- GOOD PENS! My favorites are the Pentel Energy Clena and the Pilot Juice Up, and Uni Jetstreams for ball-point.
- Teacher ep is coming soon! It will feature a mini-interview and lots of clips/quotes from teachers — on all things teacher planning AND what teachers want students/parents to know re: planning.
- Sept QA
Jenni Kayne: Find your forever pieces at jennikayne.com. Listeners get 15% off the first order by using code PLANS at checkout!
Green Chef: Clean eating with ingredients shipped directly to your door. Go to GreenChef.com/60plans and use code 60dtt to get 60% off plus free shipping!