starstruck

April 13, 2010

first thing’s first
i’m not ashamed to admit that i yelled out loud when i saw this comment pop up in my in-box:
at first, i thought it might not even be real — perhaps someone was messing with me, making fun of the eleventy-billion reference i’ve made to her website and book (hey, now we’re at eleventy-billion and two).

if this were an imposter, what would pop up in my comment box next?

✭ “dear sarah, thanks for your vote and support! i’d love to hear your thoughts on my health care reform plan.” barack obama

✭ “dear sarah, i really appreciate you spreading the word about my designs!”orla kiely

✭ “dear sarah, i forgive you for calling your cook-through project doin’ time. want to be on my show?” — martha stewart

✭”dear sarah, thanks for keeping us in business!” — glen sank, CEO of anthropologie

✭ “dear sarah, glad you think i’m awesome. i’m doin’ it for the FAME!” — lady gaga

josh and i nearly suffocated laughing about the possibilities . . . but i’m pretty sure gretchen rubin’s comment was real. i saw that her profile name linked back to her site — a marker of authenticity. thank you, gretchen rubin, for stopping by — and for everything! come back any time!!

spring cleaning, day 1
i started out my spring cleaning week in the bedroom. armed with decluttering tips from organizing your way, i went in with the aim of getting rid of things that had built up just because it was easier to leave them there than throw them away.

i also waged war against something very powerful and aggressive, especially in the south: MILDEW!

here’s a before shot of a particularly clutered area next to our dresser:

before: this pile sucks up the room’s energy

after: much more serene + inviting
here’s an embarrassing picture of our moldy window frame, which appears to be just several steps away from being condemned by the health department:

before: um, OMG.

after: whew!
closet shots! unfortunately, even my ‘after’ lacks that real simple-worthy look. but there’s definitely an improvement! and in my defense, 80% of the paper files on the floor belong to josh, so i wasn’t able to really weed through them.

before: haphazard stacks + all

after: looks like i need to go shopping! although not for jeans.

bonus!
one fun bonus about cleaning is unearthing fun things. sometimes this backfires and i end up sitting in a pile of mementos for an hour when i should be sorting through files. but . . . it’s fun, and a nice break. here are just a few of the goodies i (re)discovered:

the 3rd superman? you know, the cutest one with his head turned sideways? that’s JOSH! yayyyy bowl cut!

victoriously written by me after an ER shift in med school

bday card i wrote to josh the first year we were together. we were stranded in the hospital (due to an epic ice storm) studying for anatomy. it was less than ideal! but i do believe it brought us closer in the end . . .

i just couldn’t let this one go

or these! even though i think the ‘doctor’ one is borderline obnoxious and i would never wear it.

well, it’s off to my day shift! hope you enjoyed the little trip down memory lane! today’s cleaning area is the kitchen, more likely to yield expired products than fun memories. but i’m pretty excited to get it all organized.

—————————————————————————

4.12.10

workout: 45 minutes elliptical. my legs felt like lead during this workout and i felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest! weird.

super-natural and super-awesome: by far, the highlight of last night’s dinner was heidi swanson’s sweet potato spoon bread with goat cheese!

served with salmon marinated with a little maple syrup + mustard, plus salad. the recipe can be found here. seriously, it was comforting and flavorful and pretty much to die for! i highly recommend.

reading: finished an assignment for the ER (we had to pick an article and basically go through it with a fine-toothed comb — i chose one on diagnosing orbital abscesses. random!)

i am grateful for: every comment i get on this blog!

20 Comments

• Reply atilla April 13, 2010 at 10:54 am

yeah why haven't we heard from martha and orla? great post…love the afters.. I'm trying to remember names of the other superheros

• Reply SEC April 13, 2010 at 11:56 am

If that's your idea of clutter (the before shot in the bedroom), I think you'd have a heart attack in my house! Just wait until you have kids…

• Reply Anonymous April 13, 2010 at 12:00 pm

that's awesome that gretchen stopped by! so cool.

and i totally get distracted by old memories whenever i clean too! great before and after shots, although i don't think the befores were that bad 🙂 but you must feel good after a day of cleaning. as much as i hate cleaning it always feels so great to have it finished and everything sparkling and organized!

• Reply Chelsea April 13, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Maybe now that Gretchen has posted, Orla and Lady Gaga will feel comfortable to de-lurk and start commenting, too.

• Reply sarah April 13, 2010 at 12:52 pm

That's why healthcare reform took so long! Obama was wasting time reading food blogs!
    That is awesomeface, btw. I would freak out. Should I start posting my reviews of Michael Chabon books to elicit responses…?

• Reply Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Woah ho ho!!! Sarah that's crazy cool (Hi Gretchen!)!!!

Your little letters cracked me up. Sweet potato spoon bread with GOAT cheese!?

• Reply Morgan April 13, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Awesome that Gretchen commented!
    Love the little notes. A trip down memory lane is the best!

• Reply Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 13, 2010 at 2:15 pm

What an exciting comment to get!! I love the I'm blogging this shirt 🙂

• Reply Jessica @ JJsVinBlanc April 13, 2010 at 3:09 pm

That is awesome to see a comment from Gretchen Rubin, I have been following her on Twitter and blog posts too thanks to you.

I have mildew build-up on my windows too, what was effective in cleaning this? Toothbrush and all-purpose cleaner.

• Reply Susannah April 13, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I really enjoyed the before and after shots…one of my all time favorite movie scenes is Mary Poppins–when she magically cleans the nursery:) I WILL be making that spoon bread!

• Reply pen April 13, 2010 at 5:16 pm

That's awesome!

I've only had one kinda (but not really) similar incident…i was talking about a book I ws considering buying and the author commented on my blog. And he referenced his dog in the comment, so I know it was him…it blew my mind. Also the guy is a fantastic death penalty lawyer in TX who I really admire, so I was in awe!

• Reply Christi April 13, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I assume you saw that Gretchen gave you a shout-out on her blog, too?

• Reply Jess April 13, 2010 at 7:00 pm

I've been eyeing that recipe! Glad you tried it first so I could see a pic.

• Reply Aimee April 13, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Your idea of clutter is HILARIOUS, darling.

• Reply Julie April 13, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I recently saw a guy on a plane wearing a "trust me I'm a doctor" tshirt and thought, "dude, if you really are a doctor and they call for one on the plane, you're going first!"

• Reply Meg @ Be Fit Be Full April 13, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Hey! Your commen box changed~ I like it!You had me busting out laughing about the possible imposter comments you could get. I'm still chuckling…

• Reply atilla April 13, 2010 at 8:59 pm

by the way How about Steve Jobs commenting " thanks for the very good use of your Mac for combining media, can you come to my house and give me some pointers"

• Reply Amy Silverstein April 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Sarah, Congrats on the nod to your awsome blog! BTW, your before pictures of a clean house make my after pics look horrible. If you want to see real clutter, come check out the girls room 🙂

• Reply BroccoliHut April 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Wow, that is so cool that the author contacted you–you're friggin, famous Sarah!

• Reply Kath April 24, 2010 at 2:55 pm

LOL!

Love all the decluttering. Makes me want to keep working on mine!