August GoalsAugust 1, 2017
This is a BIG month, with a lot of exciting goals and happenings. Annabel will start KINDERGARTEN on the 21st, which feels terrifying, exciting, and slightly impossible. A podcast will hopefully be born (!), or at least pilot episodes recorded. I will be giving Grand Rounds at work, which is actually not so high-stress since I’ll be just updating a presentation I gave earlier this year at an outside institution, but is important nonetheless.
I have zero call weekends for the entirety of August, and I will be closing in on the 3rd trimester by the end of the month (not sure how that happened). WHEW!
1) Launch podcast! Or at the very least record pilot episodes and get close. Name to hopefully be finalized soon (so I can let you all know if someone won a planner!).
2) Finalize fall activity schedule for A&C. I probably am making things more complex than they need to be with a 3+5 year old, but a) the school day isn’t all that long and b) there are a lot of great activities available in our area (gymnastics! swimming! soccer! drama! art! etc etc etc), so I’m in the process of getting all of this finished. Many of them are staying just 1 hr after school (so until 3 instead of 1:50 or 2) so it’s not as overscheduled as it potentially sounds. But I need to get all the signups complete + finalized.
3) Start 2016 photobook. I always seem to get to this in the fall. Usually it’s October, so I’m 1 month ahead of the game! The good news is that once I get it started it’s not all that hard to get a lot done.
1) Give a polished Grand Rounds. I’ve been at my current institution 4 years, but this is my first Grand Rounds! So, kind of a big deal. Luckily I gave GR on the same topic at another institution in January so there won’t be too much prep work, but I still want to update things and be ready to give a great talk.
2) Interview prep sessions. As part of my residency associate program director role, I am prepping our faculty for interviews! I have to run the first session myself (PD is away) so I am focused on making this successful.
3) 670G training. New pump is out and I haven’t been trained on it yet – need to get on this. The device market in diabetes has undergone a revolution recently and it’s very exciting. I’m not sure this one is going to be the holy grail, but it’s a pump/sensor combo that looks promising and also makes me think that things will explode further very soon.
1) Average less than 60 minutes per day on Moment (phone tracking app). Bonus if I can keep every day to under 60 minutes! This is going to require a lot of Intentional Phone Putting-Down on my part, but I feel sooo much better when I do it.
2) Read daily, even if only in short bouts. I am in the middle of the novel Touch and then our next book club book is Loner (also fiction). If I get through both of these and maybe start a new nonfiction book I’ll be happy.
3) Take prenatal daily + eat with pregnancy nutrition intention. My eating habits have been meh this pregnancy. My first tri was nutritionally hideous. Things are better now, but I’m still eating more empty carbohydrates/sugar + fewer nutrient-dense foods than the ideal. Working on it!
4) Run 3-4x/week + strength 2x/week. I’ve been great at getting the runs in but only so-so on the barre/strength — typical for me! Question: Has anyone ever gone to Orange Theory for the first time . . . pregnant? Is this a bad idea?
Happy AUGUST! I have new contacts in (tiny monthly pleasure), 3 days of call left, and feel ready for a great month.