Oh July of 2019, you were not my favorite.
I spent a lot of time thinking yesterday about scenarios that DIDN’T happen this past month.
No one I know got a new cancer diagnosis. No one had a catastrophic car accident while reading an ‘important’ text. No one was struck by lightning (though the number of storms has been annoying).
We don’t have lice or the flu or gastroenteritis in the house. No kid was kicked out of school/camp/etc for terrible behavior.
It was still a frustrating month. Our family vacation fell a little short. Our childcare has been spotty. We didn’t get to go on our much-anticipated couples weekend. G has been sleeping like utter #$(*@# (I think she may need a new round of sleep training, which is not going to be any fun). I’ve had so few uninterrupted mornings, and I NEED MY MORNINGS. Our house is still on the market. The non-clinical portion of my work has been challenging (growing pains in my new position I hope — mostly due to staff turnover at an inopportune time). And more that I can’t really write about, but it’s all this same level of not catastrophic but totally irritating and energy-sapping and well —
I’m so ready for things to turn around.
August, you’re here for me just when I need you. New school routines, a weekend girls’ trip (that I believe will really happen!), and a proverbial fresh start. Q4 (of 5!) begins in earnest mid-month with the start of the new school year, and we should have our normal (and wonderful) nanny back.
AUGUST WISH LIST
- Get G into a better sleeping routine (limit nap to two hours, move bedtime closer to 7:30 or 8 pm if she can last that long, try to get her sleeping until 6:30-45 AM or so)
- Get big kids into a better sleeping routine (opposite of G – they need to go to bed EARLIER because I am having to drag them out of bed at 7:30 – the discordance in their routines is doing us no favors)
- Take one night off / week entirely from bedtime
- Have fabulous trip to see my college BFFs (weekend in Toronto!) & plan “do-over” weekend w/ Josh for later in the fall
- NOTE: this trip will most likely be a natural weaning point for G (currently she is still nursing 2x/day or 3 if I’m home, and sometimes OVERNIGHT which is terrible for me)
- Sell house (hey, it’s a wish list!)
- Get to a point of feeling less frantic than I have been at work
- Get back into consistent workouts (July was much spottier than my typical routine), ideally 3 runs & 3 interval or strength sessions/week
- No hurricanes PLEASE
Reflecting on this, I feel like so much is related to sleep quality and getting my mornings back. I am going to make this a priority!
We had Julie Morganstern (organizing guru!) on the podcast this week! I think her episode is one of our strongest (because she was so great!), so give it a listen if you are interested.
I am thinking of putting my name out there to be a guest on some other podcasts (mostly to get the word out more about BOBW and also just for fun). If you have ideas for me of who to pitch (MD type podcasts, organizing podcasts, etc), I would love to hear them.