Woohoo! I have crafted my own training plan for the Hollywood half marathon. It is a mashup of elements from the Train Like A Mother “FINISH IT” plan, with integrated 21 Day Fix (and 21DF Extreme) workouts.
- I ended up deciding on 3 runs / 2 strength workouts / 1 core/yoga workout each week. This is probably about what I can currently handle.
- Notably, 3 of these workouts are about 30 minutes (ie, not long). The runs are generally 4-6 mi on “easy run” day and 4-5 mi (mainly 4) on “speedwork or tempo” day.
- The LRs do not go up to 13.1 mi, and that looks like (more than) enough.
- In my heyday of running sans kids, it was not unlike me to hit every single workout on a training plan. 2005 me was amazingly consistent but she didn’t have all that much else to do. 2019 me is going to miss a few workouts. The “easy run” and “yoga/pilates” days are disposable if needed.
- I know that I don’t need a training plan. But for me, it’s about 80% of the point of picking a race! I #O%*#$ LOVE a good training plan. Hal Higdon plans are tried and true but not exciting enough for me. And I wanted to continue strength work.
- I wish we had hills to do a hill day on alternating speedwork days, but we don’t. And I hate the treadmill these days (because it’s in our garage which is hot and gross, and I know that could be remedied with various HVAC solutions but it’s not going to happen right now). But at least the race is flat too.
- I am giving those long runs the side eye. I haven’t run long since March of 2017 (my last half before getting pregnant with G!). But hopefully muscle memory will kick in (and I will NOT be going fast!).