Hi! These show notes are in pure outline form – they are actually the notes I used to create the episode! I may go back and edit later, but wanted to get the notes out even in raw form — and am quite rushed this am.
Definitely came with more difficulty this year
- More uncertainty
- Feeling ‘burned by 2020’
Maybe it looks different – doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing
To review – I tend to use what I call Nested Goals lists
- to make my daily list I start by look at my weekly list. (and calendar)
- to make my weekly list I start by looking at my monthly list.
- to make my monthly list I start by looking at my quintiles list
- to make my quintiles list I start by looking at my yearly list (and my Someday Maybe list)
- to make my yearly list . . . well, that’s a little harder!
And, it’s true – it feels higher stakes because it’s the list that is used to help generate all others (but not in total – can always add things in as they come up!)
So, don’t exert pressure on yourself to include everything.
(Not realistic anyway – don’t know what opportunities will come up!)
What I did for 2020/21:
- Set aside time
- Give myself a REASON to finish – I’m not usually someone who needs much accountability in form of other people, but deadlines can help me. I had to record a podcast ep! Maybe you set a date with a partner or friend to talk about goals?
- Think of CATEGORIES
Hard to just come up with items ad hoc – here are some categories to consider:
- Relationships (friends, family, significant other)
- Self (improvement, health, self-care, etc)
- Creative or side pursuits
- Learning – things like courses or reading
- Don’t forget some things that are purely FUN!
- Any habits or streaks you’d like to try
- DON’T overdo this – tracking 27 things daily probably isn’t going to end well
- Consider a WORD OR THEME
- My 2020 word was “NOW” – I wrote “5- WORD OF THE YEAR: (drumroll please . . . ) — is NOW!
From a December 2019 blog post:
“NOW. As in not later. As in being in the present. As in taking time to get things done now rather than pushing them forward. As in doing the things I want to do now (within reason). As in paying attention to how I spend my precious time. As in doing kind things for others and giving (time and money) now rather than putting it on the docket for ‘someday’.”
Ironic kind of b/c was not able to do many of the things i originally planned on in the now 🙂 BUT, i think I did a good job pivoting and figuring out ways to enjoy the NOW.
My word of the year for 2021 – finite? time? choice? intention?
It’s also okay to get inspiration from others’ lists! I LOOOOVE looking at others’ lists for that reason. I will never skip a podcast ep that’s about someone else’s goals 🙂
I hope this inspires some to make a cup of favorite hot beverage, sit down with either your computer or trusted paper system and do some goal creation! please share on insta – goals, your word, whatever. THIS IS MY FAVORITE THING 🙂