July is probably not the #1 month for decluttering.
But OMG. My annoyance with the clutter in our home has reached new heights. Here is a summary of the most dire areas:
- Kids’ clothing that no longer fits
- My bathroom: random cosmetics/supplies/etc
- My books + planner stashes (pains me to say it, but true!)
- My desk, partly because of the above.
- Stuff from last school year that never got properly processed/discarded
- Kitchen equipment/supplies/ingredients
- Random $#(*#&@ in the kids’ bathroom (like old toothbrushes)
- Kids’ craft area (ie disaster zone)
A full 100-day round of Organize 365’s Home Organization program would ABSOLUTELY help, but I think I want to go in my own order, based on a) priority and b) easy wins.
Why have I been failing to declutter/organize?
1- I am NOT an evening person, and I do not have any time in my morning routine (at all) to add in decluttering.
2- I do not want to do these tasks during my precious podcast/blog work days (and honestly it wouldn’t fit anyway)
3- On Saturdays I’m usually way too tired having done a 12-18 mile run that morning. Decluttering takes physical energy!
My analysis suggests the following 2 time slots that might work:
- Evenings (before 8 pm) – if time after helping kids with piano etc. There is no way I’m going to do ANYTHING major at that hour, but I could set a timer for 15 minutes and have at it, with relaxing music or a podcast on in the background
- Sundays – I could probably handle a slightly longer session on Sundays. Maybe 30 minutes in the afternoon.
I do think one key I have been missing is keeping things very TIME LIMITED so that it doesn’t feel overwhelming. The other key is – well, it hasn’t gotten put into my calendar/planner other than in vague goals lists.
I want to create a more peaceful home environment. Outer Order Inner Calm may not be true for everyone, but it definitely is for me.
I want to prevent waste and be a better steward of what we/I have
I want to save time by not spending time looking for things
I want to pass on unneeded things to my community (obviously, only if they are in decent condition / something someone else would want)
I want to teach the kids how to organize and declutter!
- I will plan out each week the areas to declutter (this week: top of desk + adjacent books/planners)
- I will use the time slots identified above and stick to the time limits
- I will report on progress, perhaps with some before/after shots (motivating!)
The image that came up on my phone when I searched “clean”: