Approximately 26% of 2023 remains.
I feel like it’s time for a little bit of . . . reckoning with my annual goals as we head around the bend towards the end of the year .. . .
Selected 2023 Goals:
Luckily, I still have those in my trusty EC Monthly notebook. For 2024, I will do this again (and have already bought the a 2024 EC Monthly!) but will ALSO take a pic and paste it into Apple Notes, since that way I can look at it even when away from the notebook and have a more permanent record.
- Run faster – get a “40s PR in the 5K, half marathon, etc”. (Hoping for an actual PR in the marathon not just 40s, so hopefully will exceed this goal). My mileage so far this year = 1707.8 mi. Possibly will be a lifetime mileage PR though I ran a LOT in 2005/2006 so it may be similar.
- Keep fighting the urge to scroll. Generally okay. Still not perfect (yes, despite leading a Digital Detox course — I am still human and imperfect! I still think it’s a good course and I think the participants appreciated a leader who struggled right along with them!)
- Mommy day with each kid. Accomplished.
- Develop library routine. Pretty much! Not every week, but many Saturdays we have a rhythm of lal going. I still need to develop my hold list management for the kids.
- Develop homework routines. Umm, I haven’t really had to? A/C have been pretty independent with this, honestly, and I’ve been impressed. Obviously the school year is young, but this has gone better than expected.
- Take great family trips! YESSSS.
- Attend PES in person. Check, and had a great time especially hanging out with my former co-fellow.
- Launch + grow BLPA. OMG – I didn’t even realize I only led the first round in early 2023! It seems like it’s been around longer (but, nope 🙂 ). Definitely check.
- Plan and execute live planning retreat. It’s happening! I mean it has not yet been executed but it’s happening (and soon!).
- Guest on some great podcasts – yes, though I feel like I could (should) do more!
- Expand speaking – I would say yes! Also would love to do a bit more, but I did my very first big event last fall and have had 3 since and one upcoming.
- Habits: Headspace + 5 year journal. I do these most days.
- Fun: trip with college friends (upcoming), 1-2 podcasting trip (check, x2), occasional lunch/spa dates with a friend (check)
- 15% savings rate (based on gross income). Yes, I’m pretty confident we met this. (Much of this is what is automatically going to retirement investment accounts but that still counts. Not counting college savings.)
- See 6 movies – yes! Glass Onion, A Man Called Otto, Creed III, Are You There God . . . , Barbie – one more and we are good. This doesn’t count kids movies or rewatches of older movies with kids (Clueless, Mean Girls, Bring it On, Stick It, Yes Day, Elemental, etc).
NOT ON TRACK:
- Organize the house. Um. I’m finally starting to admit to myself that maybe this is just not achievable right now in a big “whole home” sort of way. I need to figure out how to narrow down this goal to make it more achievable. My “15 min declutter” idea was great but I feel like I need more structure . . .
- Read 60 books. Probably not going to happen – I am up to 39 and 20 in the next 3 months would really be a stretch. I’m at peace with this though I actually do think I could read more.
- Improve skincare.
- Plan out personal spending. HAHAHA. I am always broke when it comes to my allowance (thankfully not when it comes to our family finances; I guess this is why we do adult allowances). A huge portion of my expenditures this year have been running related. I am advocating for an allowance raise next year but we will see if it passes the senate (the senate is comprised of myself + Josh).
- Duolingo. I still do it. But probably 40-50% of the time.
- Weekly TV night. So it turns out, when you wake up at 4:30 to run most mornings, evening TV is just not that appealing most nights. And on the rare nights I am staying up a little, we are not usually watching TV. Sad because I would love to see more shows! I did somehow get in Bad Sisters.
- Update affiliates on site (like, amazon link to favorite stationery supplies). I could still do this. But will I . . . I would join jetpens or hobonichi affiliate programs in a heartbeat but they don’t exist!
- Concerts + plays. I really wanted to go to some this year and so far, 0. I have seen perhaps 2 plays and one of them was Bluey Live so it doesn’t count. I am planning on the Nutcracker . . .
- Care for nails better. I have had a few mani/pedis, but I didn’t stay as consistent as I wanted to. My feet are not pretty right now . . .
- Estate planning. Sigh. We are going for some kind of record with this one. I recognize that if we die before it’s done, that sort of defeats the purpose . . .
I feel really lucky reading this list. It has been a really good year for our family so far. I will think about what on the second list make sense to prioritize and what makes sense to let go as I do some pre-scheming for 2024.
Have you taken stock of your 2023 goals?