The next few weeks are going to be full
REALLY full. Reasons:
- C is on two soccer teams. Being on one travel team was already a lot but his school season on top of it has been . . . even more. On the plus side, they don’t conflict at all (school games are right after school and over by 4:30; club team games are always later than that or on weekends). But still! That’s a LOT of soccer. For him and for all of us. He really enjoys being on both (his school team tends to win and that isn’t an experience he gets with the club team . . . I assume it will happen eventually though!)
- Hanukkah. Gah, it’s next week. (A texted me to remind me yesterday. I guess the kids would prefer we start preparations!!!). Gifts purchased as of now: 0. Will start (online) shopping in earnest later this week.
- Other holiday things. I want to do cards, plus there are office gifts / college friend gifts / nanny gift / service people gifts / teacher gifts to take care of. Most of these will involve giving cash but I still need to keep track of it and actually execute!
- Birthdays. Josh AND Genevieve – and both during Hanukkah! OMG, it will be a gift explosion. At least I made G’s birthday super easy (at the gymnastics place where they go all the time). Just need to order the requested DQ ice cream cake.
- Reflection season!! This is definitely high season for planning content! I absolutely love it, but it means I tend to be busier from a teaching/speaking perspective.
- Planning needs abound for the rest of the year. We all knew 2024 was coming, but it’s at this point in the year when I start itching to solidify bigger plans in the coming year (camp, travel, days off). This takes work and time!
- Podcast recording needs. Our sound team reasonably wants to take some vacation over the holidays, so that means supplying episodes in advance. Laura and I are great about this but I am not always as ahead for BLP (like this blog, the content there is less planned and more what I’m feeling passionate about at the time! I do prewrite outlines and think about what I will say, but generally not terribly far in advance of the episode due date.)
The good news is that I’m taking off from work Dec 19 – Jan 3. The first half will be largely solo parenting (kids have school Dec 19 though which will be nice!) and the second will be with Josh off as well — we are planning a relatively low key vacation to Amelia Island followed by an overnight for NYE on Miami Beach (lest anyone get the wrong idea that I am young and cool, I don’t mean at the clubs – I mean at my in-laws’ with the kids!).
The other good news is that much of the above stuff is GOOD stuff! Will try to just take things day by day + enjoy it.