sunrise in big island, hawaii, and unfortunately not chapel hill, nc. this isn’t my picture as we were never up that early when we went there! from igougo.com
admittedly i’m not the world’s most energetic right now (manic cleaning hangover?), but i’m determined to try getting into a morning workout routine and today seems like the most logical day to get started. since i now get to report to work at the luxuriant hour of 8 am (rather than 7, or 5:45 as was the case in august), this leaves me just enough time to squeeze in a workout at my gym, which opens at 6.
benefits of working out in the AM:
• having post-run energy all morning
• not having to take 2 showers/day
• not having my planned workout hanging over my head all day (ie, not having to worry that i’ll have to work too late and miss my chance!)
• the feeling of accomplishment sets off a nice tone for the day
• more time after work for studying/cooking/whatever else
negatives of AM workouts
• it’s pitch-black outside!
• getting up an hour earlier (although i don’t mind getting up at 5 so much b/c josh and i really do have an early schedule that is pretty in sync)
• rushing in the morning — which hopefully won’t be too bad. i’m about to head out now and my run should take less than an hour, so i’ll be back by 7ish and have 30 minutes to get ready, which should be enough if i’m purposeful!
aaaaaaand i’m off! it will be a busy day of neuro today followed by dinner with friends — expect some droolworthy cooking/baking pictures tomorrow!
workout: 40 minutes elliptical + 20 minutes weights
– pushups, 10 x 2
– squats with 8 lb weights, 12 x 2
– lat pull-down, 40 lbs, 12 x 2
– walking single/double lunges with 8 lb weights, 15 x 2
– tricep kickbacks, 12 x 2 each side, 5 lbs
– abs: pilates 100 + 2 x 10 obliques
I like working out in the morning when possible. I hate having the workout hanging over my head too. Plus, it give me more time to debate over doing. In the morning I just get up and get it over with.