Happy new year! We had a lovely January 1st around here – Josh was off and we spent the day doing some glorious decluttering (seriously, I love this) and hanging out with some friends visiting from colder realms (perk of living in a tourist destination although strangely no one ever seems to come by in the summer . . . ).
I will do a ‘how things are going’ post soon, but wanted to finish up the 2018 goals series by revealing my Q1 (Quintile 1 – as you may recall 🙂 ) list!
PS – click to enlarge for a clearer version of any these notebook pix if desired!
As the focus for this Quintile is maternity leave / home / family, I tailored most of my goals to fit these themes. Once I wrote the list above, I added a ‘habits’ and ‘bucket list’ section, since those are such different types of aspirations.
1) Focused time with A&C daily. This is generally for when I have childcare; otherwise it will be hard! But on days when we have our nanny or Josh is off, I want to try to spend time with A&C either together or separately. I often end up spending some time with A after C goes to bed, but C (as many middle children probably do . . .) gets the shaft and I really want to make sure he feels valued and special and gets his own time. SO – any day that we have our nanny, I will bring him into his room (technology/phone free) to do some Special Mommy Time with just him — playing with his toys, talking, reading, etc. I don’t think it has to be long – even 15-20 minutes – but I think it’s super important and easy to overlook in these New Baby Days (and weeks, and months).
2) Family dinners on Sunday, generally cooking (or perhaps takeout if it’s with friends — I do love the Playdate Dinner although Josh has lately preferred hanging out as a family at home, so we do both). I have been cooking more than ever in the past 10 days or so, mostly because our nanny has been on vacation! And I forgot how much I enjoy it though I think I’ll enjoy it even more as a weekly (not daily . . .) thing. We don’t do family dinners on most week/work days (though I will be eating w/ the kids most nights on maternity leave) but I love making Sunday a little more special and putting effort into the meal. Plus, when else do I get to use my favorite cookbooks / magazines?
3) DIA method / exercise 5x/week. I am trying the DIA method workouts to help close my diastasic/fix my core post-baby and plan on doing some kind of gentle workout most days. I’m not really feeling like running yet, so I think that will wait. I want to focus on yoga, barre, walking, etc. I just have this desire to give the running a break for a while, maybe even until I’m done with breastfeeding! I know I will be able to pick it back up again when I am ready.
4) Outline ebook. Yep, I think I am going to try to write one this year! Not sure if I will attempt to create a proposal for a regular (published) book first, but I’m considering it. The topic . . . PLANNING. Yep. After recording the Planner episode of the podcast, I realized I had a LOT more to say on the topic. I think maybe even a book’s worth (or ebook). Anyone with advice or experience in this realm – please feel free to share resources/advice!
5) Kon-Mari our home. (Round 2, since we completed most of it in 2014-15 or so!). We’ve already started with C’s toys, A’s clothing, and man – it feels soooo good. I think maternity leave is my chance to do this right, if I go through one category a day — I already created my master list (I’ll share this eventually) and am super-excited for this.
6) Combine A&C’s rooms. By maternity leave, I need A&C in C’s current room (we’re getting bunk beds!) and G in A’s current room. This project feels daunting but doable. I am reminding myself that I can do it in steps – I don’t have to move all the ‘stuff’ at once, but we really just need to get the bunk beds and go from there. Luckily both rooms are good-sized, especially C’s. And #5 above will help make this easier!
– Read something daily (a book, instagram or a magazine doesn’t count!)
– Focused time (20 min) with A&C (from above, to reinforce that I want this to be a daily thing)
– Spend less than 90 minutes daily on MOMENT (because this is sort of a foundation habit for me — if I am not wasting time on my phone everything else in my life seems to improve)
– Take A&C ice skating – we have a rink nearby and I think they are ready! We can go as a family and G can hang out in the Ergo.
– Read 10 books (seems like a good maternity leave goal to shoot for!)
– Listen to a full album every day (just sounded fun!)
– Have 3 date nights (though G may come along for some of these . . .)
Okay, off to see if I can handle 3-on-1 today with no school. Bonus points: it’s raining! Wish me luck . . .
Let’s go 2018!
BOBW Episode Update:
Mini-episode on G’s birth / immediate postpartum days is up! Listen here
or on iTunes, stitcher, or your fave podcast app.