Josh and I had not travelled sans kids since G was born. More specifically, I think our last couples trip was a weekend mini-getaway embedded into our family vacation in June of 2017, when I was pregnant with G (and feeling like trash!).
Kacey Musgraves is one of my favorite artists and when she announced her tour, I decided Josh and I had to go see her and venture out on our first date-weekend since becoming a family of 5. Guess what: it does become more logistically difficult to leave your kids the more of them you have! But our nanny was (thankfully) up to the challenge, on the condition that our kids could all stay at her house so that she and her husband could hang out with them together.
They ended up enjoying their own weekend getaway (they celebrated C’s birthday, went to the beach, and more) while we had ours. The only sad part is that while we were gone, both C & G spiked fevers (with runny noses/colds) and are now both sick. (This is obviously because G went without magical breast milk for 2 days, right? Hopefully not).
I shared some pictures on Instagram stories again (here) if you are curious, under a new Nashville highlight. To summarize:
- Kacey was great. She is an amazing singer + performer! Our seats kind of sucked. Normally I will spring for pricey seats but we had to buy the tickets on Stubhub (poor planning on my part, yes it happens!) and they were eye-wateringly $$$ as it was.
- We also went to the Country Music Hall of Fame. One super touristy/museum activity is the perfect number for me on such a weekend 🙂 It was fun to see.
- I brought the pump and did my thing 2x/day getting ~3 oz each time which I ceremoniously dumped down the drain. G nursed last night like she never noticed I was gone. So that was good!
- I read all of Delia Owen’s Where the Crawdads Sing. Excellent vacation read, especially for a trip (sort of) in the south!
- Also on a bookish note, we went to Parnassus Books. I think I have rekindled my excitement for reading. SO MANY BOOKS. SO LITTLE TIME.
- Sleeping in (and taking a pre-concert nap!) was A M A Z I N G.
- No running/working out happened – it was time for a mini-break! Will be back to it tomorrow AM.
- It was lovely and refreshing to just have time to hang out with Josh without kids interrupting every sentence. We still talked about the kids & logistical things to some extent, but obviously we had time to get into other things too. It was really nice to just have that time together to just be/enjoy each other’s company. It’s so rare otherwise these days!
So in summary, date weekends are basically the best. If you can swing one, I highly recommend. AND NOW, back to regular life (this is a super busy week with work / kids’ school stuff / podcast / etc).
When I saw this on your instagram story this weekend my immediate thought was ‘YES I TOTALLY NEED THIS!’. Love the idea of making it a fairly quick getaway but not too quick! I feel like when we have an overnight away from the kids, it’s awesome but we don’t have long enough to get out of “kid mode.” So a weekend away seems perfect!
Ahhh, you were in my town! Hope you loved it! The Ryman is such a good venue…even “bad” seats aren’t too terrible. And love that you went to Parnassus. We often see Ann Pachett there on Saturdays.
We are both going to a work conference this week – together. It will be the first time that we’ve both been gone since I was pregnant with #3. I’m now pregnant with #5. So it can be done but its taken some serious logistical gymnastics, lots of teamwork from family, friends and neighbors, excel files, lists. . . and we actually haven’t left yet so I cannot speak to whether it will be a success.
“This is obviously because G went without magical breast milk for 2 days, right? Hopefully not.” Definitely not! My kiddo was never sicker than while on “magical breast milk”- which coincided with the start of daycare. Sometimes they get sick because… germs. 😛
Hi Sara, love that outfit! Do you happen to have the details? Specifically the white jeans and booties- love them!
Jeans are Paige and booties I am not sure at this moment (away from home so I can’t check!) – but I did get both pieces from Trunk Club 🙂