The next two weekends are call weekends — for Josh, not me. I commented recently that I’m not dreading these swathes of time as much as I used to.
Maybe it turns out that remaining housebound is the easiest way to raise children.
(Not really, but I don’t really miss taking the trio to places by myself as much as I thought I would.)
Mostly Solo Parenting Weekend Pre-Covid:
- Up (typically when kids up, sneak in early workout — usually a run — if especially motivated)
- Clean up a little while they have breakfast
- OUTING – children’s museum, playdate, playground, something. For years I thought getting out of the house was key to survival.
- Lunch out (often Panera etc or at museum restaurant)
- Home for G’s nap. Often get workout in during this time if not in AM. I honestly can’t remember when we started implementing this as screen time for A&C, but I don’t feel like they were able to do this as independently pre-pandemic.
- Kids play/etc. Sometimes second stint outside IF I have the energy (which . . .was not always the case)
- Dinner – takeout or leftovers usually
- G in bed by ~8 and big kids ~8:30
Mostly Solo Parenting Weekend Mid-Pandemic:
(which by the way – we are in an alarming surge in FL. Yesterday’s peak dwarfed all prior ones. Peak is reflected in hospital census. $*&@(#! They did finally close the bars.)
- Up early (5:15) to have quiet time before kids up AND get in workout. Beachbody 80 Day Obsession #37 AAA on the docket for today.
- Kids up (anywhere from 6:45-9ish depending on kid and day) – breakfast, play, etc.
- Outside. Walk, scooter, or bike around neighborhood. Variations: “nature walk”; “flower walk”; playing “I’m so hot” (game where we make up phrases to try to describe how hot we all are; chalk on driveway; etc. (I DO MISS PLAYGROUNDS, A LOT.)
- Home when we cannot take heat anymore (usually after 1-1.5 hours). Play inside.
- Lunch at home (yesterday = snack plate. Must remember this easy and popular lunch option.)
- G nap / big kids screen / ME TIME. Time to nap, read, journal, etc. NOT time for chores. I can do those while the kids entertain themselves.
- G up – pool time OR just play time OR sometimes I let her watch a baby show. Sometimes the big kids will sit there with her mesmerized by a show created for 18 month olds. Ha. Baths usually in this window. Often FaceTime w/ family (sister or parents)
- Dinner (SATURDAY = TAKEOUT NIGHT! // SUNDAY = COOK) – we are getting pizza tonight and I am already excited.
- Movie for kids / clean up / read / etc.
- Kids bed by ~9:30ish.
Definitely different but not really any worse or harder.
HERE WE GO!