Unsurprisingly, there are two lines on my COVID test this morning. Like Josh, my “T” line was darker than “C” and appeared instantly. Interesting, because yesterday it was completely blank! I thought it would be more like pregnancy and start with a squinter . . .
Thus far I feel like I have the start of a cold, nothing terrible (though I do hate colds!). I daresay that if I did not know it was COVID and it was a regular day, I easily could have gone to work like this (not in any way suggesting that would have been good, just that I don’t feel distinctively awful at this time!). Hopefully it will stay in this realm, but I guess time will have to tell.
(Readers who may be newer, we all had COVID in December 2020 so this is technically round two. And I have had 3 COVID Pfizer shots, 2/3 which made me feel like death so I feel like they must have done something.)
If I’m being honest I’m most annoyed about missing my run today. But I will survive.
Theoretically I will be cleared to go back to work by Monday if I am asymptomatic (N95/no eating in common areas for 7+ days). The big kids come back Sunday and our nanny plans on keeping G until Friday. Josh and I can mask in the house around the kids for a few days and I may have him be the main parent over the weekend if I am still symptomatic. So in many ways, this is a best case scenario *except* for the fact that it was the trip I was most excited for.
But there will be plenty of other trips.
Positives about this road trip:
- We just sort of embraced junk food knowing that it will be time limited. Items of choice have included a DQ Blizzard, Reese’s Pieces, and Chick-Fil-A (we were in NC, we had to). Will get back to healthy when we get home (tonight!)
- I made good use of Marriott points I had accumulated pre-COVID and booked a free stay at the SpringHill Suites in Fayetteville NC (around the halfway point). My expectations were rather low but this place is fantastic, seriously. Super clean, new remodeling, and huge rooms. We will not be partaking in the free breakfast for obvious reasons but I am impressed.
- We have enjoyed MANY episodes of this podcast: 60 Songs that Explain the 90s.
- We have binged-watched an unholy amount of Ted Lasso (perhaps unknowingly I was saving the show for this very scenario)
- We were mostly able to get refunds for things: our B&B, our booked massage. We may be out our return plane fare (though we will call JetBlue today) and have extra costs of driving our rental to FL, but nothing terrible.
- We have no children with us. Ha. But also seriously.
I don’t think I’m that stoic . . .
But one thing I feel I did well that helped with my coping was to envision this scenario in advance. Not that I thought Josh would test positive (it truly was a bit of a shock to happen at that moment!), but just that I sort of accepted the idea that if I planned multiple trips over a heavy-COVID summer, we probably weren’t going to get to do all of them without some viral interference. I think it helped me roll with the punches, though as mentioned there was some initial pouting.
Okay! Onward & upward I guess. Hopefully this will pass quickly!