I am starting to schedule routine meetings and things in December.
Reflection season (Quintile 5!) is almost upon us. And let this be a reminder to all that the year tends to feel like it is flying by at this particular point.
1- There’s often a lot of vacation! Thanksgiving has become a weeklong affair in some ways (I think my kid have 1.5 days of school that week; local public school district is CLOSED the whole week). Then there’s a hop, skip & a jump to winter holiday break!
2- There’s a lot of fun! It would be interesting to graph the number of parties/social events throughout the year. Where I live, fall/winter is also the season for outdoor gatherings (we practice summer hygge, not winter).
3- The fun comes with a lot of traditional obligation. Especially if you are female with kids. I “need” (NEED IN QUOTES, because let’s face it none of it’s really a “need”) to:
- update addresses for holiday cards
- design + order holiday cards
- bake 3 key lime pies (to my in laws if they are reading this – this is not a complaint, I am HAPPY to bake pies and grateful that it’s all I have to make for our sumptuous Thanksgiving feast! But it is on the list!)
- deal with Hanukkah gifts (trying to get my husband to mostly handle this one but I can’t imagine there won’t be some involvement on my end)
- make pumpkin bars for the kids’ school Thanksgiving feast
- also, we have 2 birthdays (!) between Thanksgiving and winter break, G & J. Because of course we do.
- go to various parties + gift exchanges for work
- coordinate teacher gifts or at very least contribute to class cash gifts
I mean, nothing on the above list is offensive. Much of it is optional. But the little things add up and many of us are out of practice because 2022 is the first winter things have felt essentially normal in a while (in terms of parties/social gatherings/school events).
I also have a week of call in there (week before Thanksgiving, just grateful I’m not covering the actual holiday week this year though I am in 2023!).
AND a lot of BLPA work to do (and I am very excited that many of you shared your interest! THANK YOU! More details coming!)
Since it IS reflection season, I am determined to carve out actual reflection time between now and the year’s end. I will work on putting some hard landscape slots for this into my planner today!
Speaking of flying, I am headed to Seattle with Josh for the next 3.5 days for a very brief getaway to attend his college BFF’s son’s bar mitzvah. I am appalled that it’s actually cold there now and may have to dedicate my first Seattle outing to buying an actual warm jacket. Somehow all I have is a wool coat circa 2011 and a running jacket that is not going to stand up to 40s temps (unless I am actively running while wearing it) and I need some kind of sporty waterproof-ish jacket to last me the next decade or so. There is apparently a Patagonia store 8 minutes from our hotel (how very PNW!) and that may need to be our first outing. Something like the below is calling my name: