1- My January weekday posting streak came to an abrupt end this week! Ahh well. I must also confess that I have not done very well with meditation, either.
Goals: always a good thing to shoot for.
NOT a good thing to obsess over.
I’m feeling okay about life and will be migrating a few of my January goals into February. Monthly review starts tonight!
2- On that note, I suppose it’s appropriate to report on January goals today!
- Plan C’s bday party (well, not every detail, but it’s scheduled, reserved, and invites were sent, so the main parts are set!)
- Hire weekend childcare – yes! Found 2 reliable sitters to use on some weekend days.
- Book NC flights for spring vac
- Book Berkshires hotel for Oct
- (Also done: attempt to book Disney hotel for Dec. I’m trying out David’s Vacation Club Rentals — we’ll see how it goes. Vacations: my favorite thing to plan ahead!)
- Schedule hair appt
- RTR for wedding (though I whined about the outcome)
- Ordered some new bras/underwear (though bras are a work in progress; will have to update later. I did find one I loved though!)
- Created new conference guidelines for work
- Sent out a faculty newsletter
- Investigated wellness position
- Got quote for blog newsletter (in process!)
- Updated/extended BOBW topic spreadsheet
- Mani/pedi – check
- Books read: 3.5 (will list in future post)
- Address forwarding form (for my newsletter ‘address’!)
- Spend 2 1/2 days working on book proposal (sigh)
- Meditate daily (no; I did this through ~1/15 and then abruptly stopped! oops)
Overall, I am happy with how January went!
3- Novel 2019-Coronavirus. HOW MUCH do I wish I hadn’t read Station Eleven with this current outbreak!? Hoping hoping hoping this virus flames out fast. And does not continue to spread. Keeping an eye on the CDC website (they are updating numbers 3x/week).
4- YMoYL. I am still trudging through this (somewhat long, a little repetitive) book. I do not feel like my relationship with money has been transformed as much by the book as it has been by listening to more modern podcasts and blogs. However, I guess I see how it became a cult favorite.
I will say I have gone from someone who was obsessed with time and not very concerned with money, to someone who realizes how they are tightly intertwined. This book is not what got me there.
5- SUPER BOWL. This weekend. In Miami! And Josh is on call. Oops. Well, it’s not like we were planning to attend, but it does feel a little extra festive being so close by! I could care less about the game, but I enjoy making some our family tradition of Cincinnati chili (I use this Cook’s Illustrated recipe).
Rising*Shining (Kelsey from the Girls Next Door Podcast) shares her kids’ allowance system
How to read more in 2020 by Organising Queen (yes, it’s an “s” because she’s in South Africa!)
Podcast ep: How to increase your net worth by $900,000 in 9 years by Marriage Kids & Money. The first half of this, describing their journey, was fascinating to me. It’s not yet up on his website (so I can’t easily link it), but came through the feed.
Another podcast ep: Where’s the Car, Dude? from Money Meets Medicine. Speaking of car, my coworker showed me her new Tesla yesterday. It looked lovely but I think I enjoy my car-paymentless-life more than I would enjoy any car for the foreseeable future! I am not replacing my 2011 Prius until I can comfortably buy its eventual successor in cash.