I discussed ending this series at 100. However, I am rethinking that plan. Things have certainly not normalized. And I am very happy that this series has been a comfort to some.
It definitely has been to me!
- walk outside with G
- weekly Publix venture ($382 if anyone is curious). Of note, we were entirely out of milk, all fruit, and all vegetables (other than a few shallots and half a red onion) by the time I went. So satisfying to use everything up.
- making buttermilk pancakes for breakfast (with heated up frozen peaches, see above) & turkey burgers with corn salad for dinner.
- A NAP (seriously this is my new favorite weekend activity)
- organizing the stationery supplies in my desk drawer
- FaceTime with my parents (it was Fathers’ Day, after all!)
Josh enjoyed his Fathers’ Day as well (I think) — the kids (ie me) got him 2 shirts from Marine Layer and Annabel made a card.
I finished Joy at Work on Saturday night. This joint effort by Marie Kondo (who wrote about 20%) and Scott Sonenshein (the other 80%) did not contain many things that were earthshattering, but I still liked it. We will be dedicating an entire podcast episode to this in future weeks, so I won’t go into too much detail, but a couple of my takeaways were:
1- Yes, I am overdue to physically clean out my office. My office is not a mess, but honestly — it could be far tidier (to use the official Kondo term). I am ready to let go of stacks of paper articles that I literally NEVER look at because everything is accessible online now.
2- Regular cleanup of digital spaces are important, too. I am not sure about reviewing every single document to see if it sparks joy, but I suspect a LOT MORE could be dumped into ‘archive’ making it much easier to find what is relevant (and saving time overall).
3- Urgency is a problem. I absolutely see this at work. When we are constantly interrupted by “urgent” things it’s so hard to focus on anything for any significant period of time. From the book: “Research finds that half an executive’s activities last less than nine minutes, leaving them without much time for deep thought. Factory foremen average 583 discrete activities for an eight-hour shift. Mid-level employees average only one thirty-minute or greater uninterrupted time block about once every other day.” I ABSOLUTELY feel this pain and not only does it feel terrible, it tends block big important projects from moving forward because they do require that concentration time. I am determined to carve out more uninterrupted time for the deeper parts of my job. (BUT THIS IS REALLY HARD!!!!)
4- “Good enough is good enough for most decisions.” Honestly, I don’t tend to agonize over decisions most of the time, but I do sometimes crowd-source more than is necessary and tend towards trying to make everyone happy (IMPOSSIBLE). I think this is especially important in the COVID-19 era where everything changes every 5 minutes. No need to agonize, the plan will probably be revised quickly anyway.
5- Small messes turn into larger ones. I find that to be so true – in both the concrete and the abstract. The authors quote a study: “Researchers compared a tidy shared workroom with a messy one. After a brief period of time, the messy one had three times as much additional cutter as the tidy one. Once the clutter barrier is broken, it’s all too easy for people to keep piling it on.”
I can think of a LOT of areas of work and life where this is true. My planner. Rules for the kids. Physical clutter. It’s like . . . letting things go initially ‘breaks the seal’ in a way and can lead to mayhem. A lot of times, we are better off just keeping things neat to start with and maintaining that.
WELL. I am not sure work decluttering is going to happen in my office today (or even in the next week or two) but maybe I can take a gradual approach.