Inspired by BLPA . . .
After leading a Best Laid Plans Academy Session yesterday all about seasonal planning, I realized that it was probably time to start thinking about my own seasonal planning for Quintile 3: SUMMER! Laura and I did record a summer-themed episode and our camp spreadsheet is complete (yay), but I will be able to take some time during my little mini-retreat to work on some goals, so I decided to go back and check out my annual goals list.
Things that are going well (or are complete):
- Running plans/goals (I wanted to set “40s PRs” for the half marathon and 5K. The bar wasn’t very high as I didn’t run very much in my early 40s, but it appears I have done this.)
- Nail care. My goal was to get a professional mani/pedi every other month and so far, yes! January / March / May.
- Avoid scrolling. I’ve been better about this than I have been since . . . maybe since I’ve had an iPhone (2011ish)
- Run BLPA – I’m now almost through the second cycle and it’s been a ton of fun and a lot of learning. It’s mind-boggling to think that this was brand new at the start of 2023!
- Go to 6 movies. I’ve watched 3, one streaming and two in the theaters: Glass Onion, A Man Called Otto, and Creed 3. Are You There God . . . is on the docket. On track!
- Library routine. We go most Saturdays and I am happy with this. (PS: the big kids are much more into books this month since they are screen free. I have LOVED seeing this.)
Things that are in progress/scheduled
- Sunday dinner/routine. I feel like this has gotten better but I have yet to feel totally at peace on Sundays.
- Mommy days with each kid –> scheduled for three consecutive Thursdays in June/July!
- Track time one week/quintile — done for Q1/Q2 so far
- Organizing. I’ve done my desk area + 2 kid rooms. There is a lot more but I feel it is achievable!
Things that have not yet been started: Estate planning
I am happy to report though that about 10 minutes ago, I sent an email with the subject heading “Estate Planning OMG I think 3 years went by” to our estate planning attorney who is also my friend and an all-around awesome person. And actually, she just called me back (because she is the best) and informed me it was more like 5 years. I guess in my defense some of those were rather crazy years . . . lol.
(Fun fact/total digression: I actually have TWO friends who are estate planning attorneys and they even both went to the same Ivy League undergrad and they didn’t know each other!!! But that is a wild digression. And only one of them is actually doing our stuff.)
Things that are looking doubtful, but I feel okay about:
- Reading plan. I had this wild idea of trying to do 2 nonfiction books a month PLUS 3 novels/month by trying to read 1/14 or 1/10 of each book daily. I haven’t actually falling SO far short book-wise (here’s the 2023 list — I’m at 10 novels / 10 nonfiction so far) but I am realizing that some days I just read more than others, though I tend to be more consistent in my morning nonfiction reading. I’m — as usual — on track for around 50 books this year rather than 60. (50ish seems to be my sweet spot and it’s not a bad number, maybe I should just embrace it!)
- Taylor Swift. Sad. The next tour I will be so on it . . .
- Listen to an album/week. I do feel like music has become a more regular part of my life – the kids always want music in the car, and I listen to music during all challenging runs (speedwork, hills, etc) – and that adds up. I also listen to most of the New Music Fridays episodes on NPR’s All Songs Considered and sometimes I get excited to listen to a full album, but definitely not every week.
I am not quite ready to craft my Q3 goals (need to review Q2 first / look ahead + reflect a bit) but I am getting there.